Buying your first home is an exciting milestone for any new homeowner. With this significant transaction comes plenty of challenging renovations. Updating your attic insulation may be one of them! Quality attic insulation affects maintenance and energy costs years down the road, so it is in your best interest to invest in Jacksonville attic insulation now. First time (or tenured) homeowners, read on to discover our 3 must-know things about attic insulation!
The Importance of Jacksonville Insulation
You may be asking, what exactly is attic insulation? Simply put, it’s a material that fills the gaps in your attic to minimize heat flow, sound transference, and moisture. Attic insulation creates a thermal barrier between your attic space and the outside to keep your indoor temperature locked in. Here are a few reasons why your new home needs updated solutions, like Attic Man’s spray foam insulation:
- As we said, attic insulation preserves your desired temperature because it stops the flow of heat through ceilings and walls.
- Attic insulation reduces the transfer of sound both into and out of your house, making it a necessity for homes in high-traffic areas.
- Renovating your attic insulation is easier than you may realize! Attic Man can replace your old panels with our quick and easy spray foam insulation in Jacksonville homes.
Can Attic Insulation Go Bad?
When done properly, attic insulation can last for dozens of years. However, there are a few factors that can shorten its lifespan and compromise efficiency. These include improper installation, pest activity, moisture absorption, and mold growth. Keep an eye open for the following signs that you should consider upgrading your situation with a Jacksonville insulation contractor:
- Older insulation might be susceptible to moisture buildup, especially after a harsh storm. When moisture gets trapped in attic insulation, it can lead to mold growth that compromises the health of everyone living under your roof.
- Similarly, traces of water damage may be a clear sign that now is the time to replace your attic insulation. Proper insulation will keep moisture out of your home, whereas worn-down insulation will allow water inside.
- Do you find that some rooms are colder than others? Damaged insulation can cause temperature fluctuations and drafts indoors, which can also increase your energy bills. New attic insulation from Jacksonville FL attic insulators is sure to seal your temperature of choice inside.
How to Find the Perfect Insulation
There are a few factors that go into choosing the best attic insulation for your Jacksonville home. Plus, attic insulation commonly comes in two different forms: fiberglass batts or blown-in cellulose insulation. Before making a purchase, consider the following:
- Insulation will typically have an R-value, which is a measurement of its ability to resist heat transference. The R-value is based on the insulation’s thickness and density, as well as its temperature, age, and moisture resistance. The higher the R-value, the better!
- Different climates demand different insulation levels to accommodate differences in temperature. That is why homes in climates with extremely hot or cold temperatures demand insulation with a higher R-value.
- The architectural style of your home may influence the kind of insulation you should get. For example, a home with many crevices and corners may require Jacksonville spray foam insulation to promise full protection.
- Attic insulation materials have a big impact on your energy consumption. Investing in more energy-efficient attic insulation may be more expensive up front than less efficient alternatives, but you will certainly spend less on monthly bills for the duration of your stay in that home. Choose attic insulation based on your preference in energy efficiency.
Now, after learning all of that, it is common to wonder a fourth thing – how can I install attic insulation? Attic Man makes that part easy! Give us a call today and allow Attic Man to solve all your attic insulation problems. We offer insulation extraction for old homes, as well as spray foam insulation and fiberglass insulation to ensure the best level of protection for Jacksonville FL homes. Choose Attic Man’s insulation solutions today and you will feel a world of difference tomorrow!